The teacher’s job is to assure that all students learn the basic and essential skills at each grade level. Responsibilities include:
- Plans and implements a program of instruction that adheres to the district philosophy, goals and objectives as outlined in the adopted course study.
- Makes purposeful and appropriate lesson plans that provide for effective teaching strategies and maximize time on task.
- Plans and implements a program of study designed to meet individual needs of students.
- Creates a classroom environment conducive to learning by employing a variety of appropriate teaching strategies.
- Encourages student enthusiasm for the learning process and the development of good study habits.
- Provides progress and interim reports as required.
- Prepares substitute folder containing appropriate information as required by the principal.
- Plans and prescribes purposeful assignments for paraprofessionals, tutors and volunteers as needed.
- Recognizes learning problems and makes referrals as appropriate.
- Demonstrates a strong grasp of subject matter.
- Uses effective oral and written expression.
- Stays current in subject matter knowledge and learning theory and is willing to share this knowledge for continual improvement of the school’s curriculum.
- Assists with the ongoing curriculum revision process, including the revision of written courses of study.
- Becomes acquainted with supplemental services beneficial to students as an extension of regular classroom activities.
- Develops, in accordance with district school guidelines, reasonable rules of classroom behavior and appropriate techniques that are consistently applied.
- Takes necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Shares responsibility during the school day for the supervision of students in all areas of the school.
- Provides for the supervision of assigned students when circumstances require a brief absence from the assignment.
- Upholds and enforces board policy, administrative procedures, and school rules and regulations, and is supportive of them to the public.
- Maintains appropriate work habits, including regular and punctual attendance and appropriate use of conference and planning time.
- Strives to communicate the positive aspects of our school program to the public in word and deed.
- Works cooperatively with parents to strengthen the educational program for their children.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative relationships with other staff members.
- Continues professional growth through attendance at workshops, seminars, conferences, and/or advanced course work at institutions of higher learning.
- Maintains membership in appropriate professional organizations.
- Cooperates with the administration in planning appropriate inservice training programs at a school or at the district level.
- Attends staff, department, and committee meetings as required.
- Evaluates accomplishments of students on a regular basis using multiple assessment methods such as teacher-made tests, samples of students’ work, mastery skills check lists, criterion-referenced tests and norm-referenced tests.
- Makes appropriate adjustments in the instructional program and as required by the principal.
- Respects the confidentiality of records and information regarding students, parents, and teachers in accordance with accepted professional ethics, and state and federal laws.
Discovery High School ©2017 All rights reserved